Smosh: The Movie is a 2015 American comedy film directed by Alex Winter, starring Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla of Smosh. It is Smosh's first feature-length film, and features guest appearances by fellow YouTubers, including Jenna Marbles, Grace Helbig, Harley Morenstein, and Mark Fischbach. The film was produced by Defy Media and AwesomenessTV and distributed in the United States and Canada by 20th Century Fox and by Lionsgate worldwide. Its plot centers on fictionalized versions of Ian and Anthony, who enter the virtual YouTube universe on a mission to alter a video that would ruin Anthony's chances of winning over his high school crush.
The film premiered on July 23, 2015 at VidCon 2015 and released in the United States on July 25, and later saw a release on Netflix on September 22. It received generally polarized reviews, with consensus among critics comparing the film to a feature-length Smosh video.
Anthony Padilla and Ian Hecox are best friends and live in Ian's parents' house. Ian stays at home all day and watches YouTube videos and Anthony works as a part-time pizza delivery driver at Bavooki's Pizza. One day, Ian finds a video of Anthony reciting the Magic Pocket Slave Monsters theme (an obvious parody of the Pokemon theme song and reference to Smosh's deleted video) at their high school graduation party. In the video, Anthony attempts to impress his crush, Anna Reed (Nelson) by trying to do a backflip, but he fails, landing on his face, and the microphone lands in his anus. After learning that their five year high school reunion is that same day, they both decide to pull down the video before it blows Anthony's chances of reconnecting with his crush.
They travel to the YouTube headquarters, where they meet a receptionist named Stephanie (Helbig) who introduces them to the President of the company, Steve YouTube (Black). Steve YouTube explains that the only way to fix the video is by literally going inside YouTube through a portal, and changing the video from the inside. Anthony decides that it is important enough to go through with it, so Ian accompanies him in traveling through YouTube.
Steve YouTube provides the duo with two cell phones equipped with an artificial intelligence named Diri (a parody of Siri, voiced by Kimmy Gatewood) and then shows them the portal that is behind his closet door, after a wiener joke that the duo see coming, but he refuses. Upon their entrance into YouTube, they are taken into an ad, in which Diri skips due to Ian's irritation. After tumbling through a series of YouTube videos, they eventually end up in a Jenna Marbles vlog (herself). Jenna informs them that once their Diri phones run out of battery, they will be permanently stuck in YouTube, just like her.
They decide to split up, but Ian immediately abandons the mission and travels to his YouTube crush video, "Butt Massage Girl" (Ross), while Anthony escapes a furry party, gets advice from Steve Austin (himself), and finds out that Anna really likes him too. Diri takes Anthony to the Butt Massage Girl video where Ian is getting a massage in, to prove that Ian doesn't truly value their friendship. Anthony tells Ian that his and Butt Massage Girl's love is fake and that it's only a video, Leaving Ian heartbroken.
The duo then makes it to the embarrassing video of Anthony. Anthony figures out that Ian was the one who recorded and uploaded the video. They both engage in a fight that lasts throughout several YouTube videos, ending with them returning to the start. Ian decides to make it up to Anthony by beating up his past self. Anthony then goes to help him, but past Ian interferes and attacks Anthony, while Ian is trying to knock out past Anthony. In the process, the other students also start to fight one another. During the battle, Diri reveals itself to be Steve YouTube, who tells them that sending the two into YouTube was part of his evil scheme to keep them in YouTube forever.
Frightened, they race to escape YouTube via their video history, but Steve YouTube puts up several unsuccessful obstacles on their way, as they make it to the portal only for Steve YouTube to be there waiting for them. But a bear appears and beats Steve YouTube, allowing them to escape YouTube. Returning to the real world, Smosh discover that, due to their changes to Anthony's embarrassing video, they have become famous, Ian is dating Butt Massage Girl, Ian's parents live with them, Anthony has several girlfriends, they live in a much bigger and better house, and Steve ¨You-too-bay¨ is now the pizza delivery driver. Butt Massage Girl accompanies them as they go to their reunion.
As they arrive to their reunion, they discover they are the most famous ones there. Anthony seeks out Anna and finds her, only to figure out she doesn't like the "new him" as she liked his old high school self, to Anthony's surprise. He decides that the only way to win her affection is to perform the Magic Pocket Slave Monsters theme he originally performed and failed at their high school dance, again. Anthony attempts the flip, and this time succeeds as Ian joins him in performing the song, with Anthony winning Anna's affection. As Butt Massage Girl meets Anna, she reveals her real name to be Brad, making Ian loudly exclaim, "What the f**k?!"as the film ends.
In a post-credits scene, Ian marries Brad with Anthony crying in the background.
- Ian Hecox as himself
- Anthony Padilla as himself
- Jillian Nelson as Anna Reed
- Brittany Ross as Brad (Butt Massage Girl)
- Jenna Marbles as herself
- Grace Helbig as Stephanie
- Harley Morenstein as Mailman
- Michael Ian Black as Steve YouTube
- Shane Dawson as Sex Simulator Guy (Deleted Scene)
- Mark Fischbach as himself
- Steve Austin as himself
- The Warp Zone (Deleted Scene)
- David Moss as himself (Cameo appearance)
- Matthew Sohinki as himself (Cameo appearance)
- Joshua Ovenshire as himself (Cameo appearance)
- Mari Takahashi as herself (Cameo appearance)
- Peter Breitmayer as Mr. Ellis
- Kristen O'Meara as Ian's Mom
- Kevin Will as Ian's Dad
- Kimmy Gatewood as Diri/Hair Stylist
- Damion Poitier as Super Boring Man
- Dominic Sandoval as Nearby Student
- Kimoon Kim as Psy Look-Alike
- Elisha Yaffe as High Driver
- Hal Landon Jr. as Butler
On September 18, 2014, Lionsgate announced that it has picked up global distribution rights to the movie, with production jointly financed by DreamWorks Animation’s AwesomenessTV, and Defy Media, in which Lionsgate has an equity interest. The picture was written by Eric Falconer, creator and executive producer of Blue Mountain State and writer of How I Met Your Mother. The film is executively produced by Padilla, Hecox, Barry Blumberg of Defy Media, Brett Bouttier, Joe Davola and Shauna Phelan. AwesomenessTV founder Brian Robbins serves as producer. It was entirely shot in YouTube Space in Los Angeles, California.
On April 15, 2015, it was announced that the movie would be released on July 24, 2015, and will be having its gala world premiere at Vidcon 2015 in Anaheim, California. An official trailer was released on Smosh's official website on June 12, 2015. On July 21, 2015 date of opening the media. Celebrities, including actors from Smosh channel, presenters from Smosh Games channel, The Warp Zone, Lauren Elizabeth, Catie Wayne, Harley Morenstein, Grace Helbig, Joey Graceffa, Jenna Marbles, Ricky Dillon, Merrell Twins, Rafi Fine, Alex Winter, Rebecca Black, Lia Marie Johnson, Cloe Breena, JC Caylen, Kian Lawley, Peter Shukoff, Lloyd Ahlquist, Jacob Hopkins, Tyler Ward, George Dalton, Jon Bailey, Calum Worthy, The Bath Boy, Jiff the dog and Jenn McAllister before to July 24, 2015 is the film for all to see.
Smosh: The Movie was met with mixed to poor reviews. Common Sense Media gave it a 2 out of 5 stars. The New York Times stated that "Is it worth your $9.99? Maybe not, but if you can buy it on your parents' credit card, you’ll probably enjoy it". IMDb rates is 3.8 out of 10 stars based on 4,552 reviews while it earned an 18% on Rotten Tomatoes.
It came as "Smosh: The Movie"
- Smosh talks to older people (by both disguised as an old man), and Joe Bereta (director of Every Blank Ever) to present the film.
- Bring trailer & sneak peek into a song by The Gregory Brothers.
- Deleted scene of The Warp Zone in Smosh: The Movie Record October 21, 2014.
- Shane Dawson recorded (deleted) scene in late July 2014.
- Shane Dawson reacts to a deleted scene from Smosh: The Movie at Shane played.
- Whisper Challenge (Smosh: The Movie edition) on AwesomenessTV (YouTube channel)
- Smosh Games bring the trailer to dub play.
- Smosh Squad show and a celebrity / singers come Auditions to play Smosh: The Movie.
- Shane Dawson and The Warp Zone had recorded scenes, but those were deleted from the movie.
- Magic Pocket Slave Monsters is a parody of Pokémon. Curiously, the most famous (and fourth) video of Smosh is "Pokemon Theme Music Video", released in Season 2005, in the year 2005.
- Kristen O'Meara plays Ian's mom in the movie, unlike in the videos, when she played by his real mom.
- The Office YouTube logo is screen letters word You and a watermark on word Tube.
- The arcade Ian and Anthony visit in the movie is called "Game Bang", a reference to the segment "Smosh Game Bang", on their Smosh Games channel.
- There will be no sequel to the movie, which has been said multiple times by Smosh themselves.
- This movie marks the only appearance of Steve YouTube and Anna Reed.
- Harley Morenstein made a cameo as a Mailman in the movie, but not as himself, like in "The End of Christmas" 1 and 2, of Season 2013.
- Two video-sequels, named "Old People Movie Prank" and "The Wiener Song (Autotune)", of Season 2015; were released after the movie's release.
- This movie has deleted scenes, like in the videos of "If... Were Real series".
- This movie is a part of the Season 2015.
- This is the first theatrically movie involving Smosh, the second being The Angry Birds Movie released May 20, 2016, in the United States, during Smosh's Season 2016.
- During the first opening credits, it brought animation created by Chris Bennett (who created the Alfred and Poe & Super Smosh on Shut Up! Cartoons and build the X-mas celebrations of the Smosh channel in 2014 "Christmas Apocalypse")
- According to Anthony, the events of this movie take place in the year 2014, despite the fact that the movie was released in the year 2015.
- According to the invitation flyer to the high school reunion, which is dated for the reunion being on Saturday, September 19, 2014, most of this movie takes place on September 19, 2014.
- The movie was referenced by Anthony in 2019 when Disney bought Fox. He posted the movie poster on his twitter and called himself a Disney princess. Ian responded to this saying this was not true, but that they instead are #avengers. He posted a character reveal, in the form of a photo of gray colored ash.
- When Anthony was asked in March 2019 if he wanted to remind people of the movie, his answer was "lol". He also replied to other peoples' tweets about the movie around the same time.