Shayne Robert Topp (b. September 14, 1991) is an American actor and regular Smosh cast member. He was the announcer for Smosh's game show, You Posted That? and the main co-star of The Damien and Shayne Show on Smosh Games along with Damien Haas.
Shayne was first introduced on the Smosh Main Channel in the sketch, HAND BOMB, after which he was officially inducted into the Smosh family along with Courtney Miller. It was revealed in that same video that he was an actor on Disney Channel's show So Random!, where he played a recurring character, Shayne Zabo, along with many other sketch characters. He made his first appearance in the Smosh Summer Games as a referee, most likely because the teams would've been uneven had he participated. Outside of Smosh, he has played one-appearance roles in various Nickelodeon shows.
More recently, he has gained a recurring role on the TV show The Goldbergs as Matt Bradley.
- Switched at Birth, season 4, episode 3 "I Lock the Door Upon Myself" - Taylor Halsted
- iCarly, episode "iMight Switch Schools" - Philip Brownley
- Sam and Cat, episode "#StuckInABox" - Vance Anderson
- Fred: The Show, episode "The Expired Cow" - Steve the Talking Cookie
- Love Bites, episode "Too Much Information" - Ian
- So Random! - Shayne Zabo
- AwesomenessTV, sketch "Swag Master J: Swagify for School" - Various
- Henry Danger, episode "Captain Jerk" - Dennis
- The Goldbergs, - Matt Bradley (below right)
- "A Sort Of Homecoming" - Dylan Conti (which also starred Laura Marano)
- "Moonpie" - John Paul
- "All Kids Count" - Cory
- "First" - Rick
- "Dear Lemon Lima" - Phillip Gregory
- "Hi, Lillian" - Dylan
- "Boys On Film 14: Worlds Collide", segment "The Violation" - Oscar Heim
- "Astrid Clover" - Cop with Taser (made by Allisyn Ashley Arm, former So Random! co-star)
- "What's Next for Sarah?", episode 2 - Chad (made by Jennette McCurdy)
- YouTubers React to Make-A-Wish (Wishes to children with life-threatening illnesses) (with cast member Courtney Miller)
|IF YOU HAD ONE WISH...||January 22, 2019|
- Shayne has a paternal German ancestry. (Reference needed)
- Shayne won the Jury Prize at the 2009 Los Angeles Film Festival for "Outstanding Performance in the Narrative Competition" in Dear Lemon Lima, and was nominated at the 2014 Young Hollywood Awards for the "Exciting New Face - Male" award for his performance in the same film.
- When Shayne was 18 months old, he drowned in his family's pool, but was quickly revived by his mother. Because he was bobbing up and down in the pool water, Shayne's dad actually called him "Shayne Bobber." He references this in the Smosh Summer Games belly-flop competition when he floats face down in the water for several seconds after his flop.
- Shayne lived in Woodbridge, Virginia for 4 years of his childhood, with his mother and older half-brothers. (Reference needed)
- Shayne has a recurring role on a TV show The Goldbergs. The character he plays, Matt Bradley, is based on a real-life person that the show's creator knew personally. The character also shares names with an NBC news anchor.
- Shayne used to be in a relationship, which ended around the beginning of filming of Smosh Summer Games - Wild West.
- Specifically, it ended about five hours before Shayne had to shoot a Smosh Sketch that went unaired until "WE REACT TO AN UNAIRED SMOSH SKETCH." The sketch required Shayne to be high-energy at various points, but in between takes he would be slumped against a wall due to the breakup. Olivia noted that everyone knew something was wrong as a result, but he told them it was "pain from leg day" until much later.
- Along with many other members of Smosh, Shayne is a Game of Thrones fan.
- One of Shayne's favorite TV shows is ABC's Once Upon a Time. He has said "I really like the story of the show, it makes me feel like I am in the scene which is important to me." (Reference needed)
- Shayne hates cheese. (Reference needed)
- Shayne considers ranch dressing soda to be the worst drink he has ever tasted.
- Shayne's favorite Pringles flavor is the BBQ Pringle.
- Shayne likes Harry Potter. He mispronounces the name as "Harry Poter."
- Shayne loves roasts that compare people to inanimate objects. He's mostly being roasted about his muscular figure; Noah said that he looked like "if an acoustic guitar was a human," Courtney calls Shayne's arms "frog arms," and a fan once roasted him by saying he looks like a GNC employee (a chain specializing in workout supplements).
- Shayne's favorite number is 36.
- Shayne is incredibly well-read and is often playfully teased by his cast members for his love of books. Damien references this in NEWLYWED GAME (Squad Vlogs), and when he is asked what Shayne would buy if he won the lottery, he states, "I've seen [Shayne] through a lot of stages of life, I've seen [him] through feast, I've seen [him] in famine, and no matter what, [he] acts very intelligently with his money, and [he doesn't] spend very much...and even if [he's] just gotten a huge payday...and [he says] 'man I really want to buy a PS4 but in 17 years in might be cheaper by 50 dollars so I should probably just get a book'."
- After he continually found himself unable to book acting jobs in Los Angeles, Shayne was about to move away, but was convinced by Noah, who he knew from Ellen Marano's acting class, to stay and do the Smosh audition. (Reference needed)
- Shayne auditioned for Smosh on the same day as Courtney Miller. The two of them joke about the audition, referencing it in OUR FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF EACH OTHER (Story Time), namely that Shayne told Courtney he'd "see her at work", despite feeling uneasy about whether or not he'd book the job.
- Shayne voiced the Zucchini during the Food Battle X voting.
- Shayne's most infamous quotes from Smosh are arguably "Daddy needs his juice", "Munge" and "You're my favorite pizza place".
- "Daddy needs his juice", (sometimes spelled "juse"), was created by a somewhat delirious Shayne during the WATER BALLOON ROULETTE CHALLENGE. He's stated that he doesn't exactly know why he started saying it, but that it felt right in the moment.
- The concept of the 'Munge', was created in the two episodes Wild-West themed Maricraft series SHAYNE'S EROTIC NOVEL and WHAT IS A MUNGE?!. Shayne, having discovered a 'shaft journal' in a part of the mine they were exploring, began to write 'erotic fiction' in the shaft journal. He asked his fellow players, Mari, Joven, and Damien if the had any words he could use as inspiration. Mark Raub suggested the word 'munge' from behind camera, and Shayne ran with it.
- The real definition of the word is a computer term for "jargon for a series of potentially destructive or irrevocable changes to a piece of data or a file. Sometimes used for vague data transformation steps that are not yet clear to the speaker."
- "You're my favorite pizza place" is a recurring bit created by Shayne on TRY NOT TO LAUGH CHALLENGE 5 w/ GUS JOHNSON, while trying to make Noah laugh. The joke has gathered a life of its own, with Shayne using it at least once every two or three TNTL's. Courtney has also done the bit once, but as the receiver of the call.
- The reference since then has been turned into a shirt, which is sold at smosh.store.
- Shayne and Damien Haas have worked together on several projects outside of Smosh. They met on the set of Disney Channel's So Random!, both of them playing recurring roles. The two were roommates during this time, and when Shayne auditioned for Smosh, he promised that he'd try to get Damien on with him. He ended up keeping his promise in full, with Damien being added to the cast mid-2017.
- During the interim between the Defy shutdown and the pick-up from Mythical Entertainment, Shayne and Damien planned on recording a podcast together. They shot two episodes before they found out that Smosh would be coming back, and that it would include a podcast. They decided that it was best to not continue with the podcast, though the two episodes still exist.
- Shayne has had an on-screen kiss with Anthony, Noah, and Courtney.
- Shayne once took over the Smosh and Smosh Games Instagram account and announced himself as "King of Smosh." It lasted for a day. Damien did the same after gaining access to the Smosh Games account, and then accidentally gaining access to the Smosh Main account.
- Shayne often played a character named "Courtney Freaking Miller" in many Smosh videos to make fun of Courtney. His interpretation is an incredibly over the top recreation, (something Courtney herself has replied to with her own character, Shayne Freaking Topp). Courtney Freaking Miller is incredibly chaotic, having not only 'gone to prison', but also indulging in 'eating cats', and 'peeing everywhere'.
- According to Shayne, (referenced in both a Super Smash Bros. Stream he did on Damien's Twitch, and in the 6th Smoshcast), Courtney Freaking Miller was influenced by the way he would yell in his car at traffic. He would scream nonsense that ended up turning into intense strange outbursts. Not only would it spur he and Sarah to come up with an inside joke to yell at each other, but also the inspiration for the iconic character.
- It is highly suggested that Shayne plays the Dark Souls series, as he said his own character was a lot higher when he faced the Crystal Lizard.
- Shayne has proven many times to be excellent at impersonations and accents. He gains particular praise for his Christopher Walken, Tom Cruise, Chris Hemsworth, Nicholas Cage, Patrick Warburton, and Michael Caine impressions.
- According to one of the Smoshcasts, Shayne actually got in trouble for his Tom Cruise impression when somebody threatened to sue Smosh for 'stealing their idea'.
- Shayne once accidentally broke a PS3 controller in half from being frustrated while playing Skyrim.
- Shayne's fandom is referred to as "Daddy needs his juice/juse" (similar to Courtney's "Ass Cheek Valley"). (Reference needed)
- There was a long-held misconception that Shayne was allergic to peanuts, due to Damien incorrectly stating that in a Damien and Shayne Show after Shayne is given a box of peanut butter as a prank. He would be gifted another box full of peanut butter in the Smosh Secret Santa Video in 2017, which contained a Matt Raub pin.
- This misconception was indirectly disproven in the video IF YOU HAD ONE WISH..., during which Shayne and Ian were covered from head to toe in peanut butter.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Shayne Topp's resume on LACasting.com
- ↑ Smosh is moving in. - YouTube. Courtney considers Shayne to be more of a dirty blond, at least compared to her.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 2 TRUTHS, 1 LIE w/ GUS JOHNSON - YouTube.
- ↑ Shayne Topp - IMDb. Retrieved on April 2018.
- ↑ 2009 Los Angeles Film Festival Winners - MovieWeb. Retrieved on April 2018.
- ↑ Young Hollywood Awards (2014) - IMDb. Retrieved on April 2018.
- ↑ HOW SHAYNE DIED (The Show w/ No Name) - YouTube
- ↑ 15 things you might not know about 'The Goldbergs' - Philly. Retrieved on April 2018.
- ↑ THE BEST AND WORST OF 2017 - YouTube
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 NEWLYWED GAME (Squad Vlogs) - YouTube
- ↑ WHY DO THESE SODAS EXIST?! - YouTube
- ↑ PRINGLES CHALLENGE W/ MEGAN BATOON - YouTube
- ↑ GUILTY PLEASURES REVEALED? (Squad Vlogs) - YouTube
- ↑ WE ROAST EACH OTHER! (The Show w/ No Name) - YouTube
- ↑ STORYTIME: FIRST DATES (The Show w/ No Name) - YouTube
- ↑ FANS ROAST US! (The Show w/ No Name) - YouTube
- ↑ WE DROP TRUTH BOMBS! (Squad Vlogs) - YouTube
- ↑ EXTREME CLOTHES SWAP CHALLENGE (Squad Vlogs) - YouTube
- ↑ "No, That's Okay. I'm Good." Damien Haas, Shayne Topp & Matthew Scott Montgomery (TV Episode 2018) - IMDb. Retrieved on April 2018.
- ↑ Re-Writes (2014) - IMDb. Retrieved on April 2018.
- ↑ So Random! (TV Series 2011-2012) - IMDb. Retrieved on April 2018.
- ↑ MONOPOLY RUINS OUR FRIENDSHIP - YouTube
- ↑ KISS CURRENCY - YouTube
- ↑ TWITTER SHOCK CHALLENGE (Squad Vlogs) - YouTube
- ↑ HOT PEPPER TALENT SHOW (Smosh Summer Games) - YouTube
- ↑ WHAT IF SMOKING RUINED ICONIC MOVIE MOMENTS... - YouTube
- ↑ @shayneroberttopp's post - Instagram
- ↑ Courtney Freakin' Miller - Funny Moments - YouTube
- ↑ DARK SOULS 3 IMPOSSIBLE STRUGGLE (Friendly Fire)
- ↑ DAMIEN AND SHAYNE TRAPPED IN NIGHTMARE SKYRIM - YouTube
- ↑ CHRISTMAS IN GTA ONLINE - YouTube
- ↑ SMOSH FAMILY SECRET SANTA - YouTube