Mass Effect is an action role-playing third-person shooter developed by BioWare (as well as Edge of Reality, Demiurge Studios, and Straight Right) and published by Microsoft Game Studios in 2007 and by Electronic Arts from 2008 onward.
The original trilogy largely revolves around Commander Shepard and his mission to save the galaxy from a race of powerful mechanical beings called the Reapers and their agents during the 22nd century. The fourth installment takes place in the Andromeda Galaxy and features a new cast of characters. All of the first three major installments of the Mass Effect series have been met with commercial success as well as universal acclaim. The series is highly regarded for its narrative, character development, voice acting, the universe, and emphasis on player choice affecting the experience.
- Mass Effect 2: A 2010 action role-playing game developed by BioWare and published by Electronic Arts. The second installment of the series, it takes place within the Milky Way galaxy during the 22nd century, where humanity is threatened by an insectoid species called the Collectors. It follows Commander Shepard, an elite human soldier who must construct and gain the loyalty of a diverse team and stop the enemy in a suicide mission. BioWare changed several gameplay elements from the last game and put further emphasis on third-person shooter aspects such as limited ammunition and regenerable health. The developers also opted to create a plot where optional missions had as much intensity as the main mission. The game is frequently cited as one of the greatest video games of all time.
- Mass Effect 3: A 2012 action role-playing game developed by BioWare and published by Electronic Arts. The third installment of the series, it completes the story of Commander Shepard, who is tasked with forging alliances between species for the war, and is set within the Milky Way Galaxy in 2186, where civilization is invaded by a highly advanced machine race of synthetic-organic starships called Reapers. It concludes the story of Commander Shepard, an elite human soldier who is tasked with forging alliances between species for the war. As BioWare designed the game to be accessible to both old and new players, many of the series' traditional gameplay elements remain, such as cover-based third-person shooting, but new aspects are introduced as well, such as a multiplayer component.
- Mass Effect: Andromeda: A 2017 action role-playing game developed by BioWare and published by Electronic Arts. The fourth major installment in the series, it is set within the Milky Way Galaxy during the 22nd century, where humanity is planning to populate new homeworlds in the Andromeda Galaxy as part of a strategy called the Andromeda Initiative. It follows either Scott or Sara Ryder, an inexperienced military recruit who joins the Initiative and wakes up in Andromeda following a 634-year journey. Events transpire and Ryder becomes humanity's Pathfinder and is tasked with finding a new homeworld for humanity while dealing with the Kett, an antagonistic alien race, and uncovering the secrets of a mysterious synthetic race, the Remnant. For Andromeda, BioWare incorporated a lighter tone, utilized open world elements, and placed an emphasis on exploration. The game is the largest in the series and offers the player the freedom to focus on either the main quest or side quests.
|1. BEST AND WORST VG HALLOWEEN COSTUMES|
2. MAKING IT OR BREAKING IT
3. EVOLUTION OF THE RPG
|1. BEST VIDEO GAME HEROES|
2. GAMES THAT SUCKED UP ALL OUR TIME
|1. BEST ROBOTS IN VIDEO GAMES|
2. MOST HEARTBREAKING VIDEO GAME DEATHS
3. BEST VIDEO GAME DLC
4. TOP 5 VIDEO GAME CONSPIRACIES