Food Battle: The Game is an independent game associated with Smosh funded by the Indiegogo, based on the popular Food Battle series. On July 22, 2013, Smosh released a video titled "Let's Make Food Battle: The Game!!!" announcing the launch of an Indiegogo campaign and how $250,000 needs to be raised to develop a game.
Due to the production of this game, fans thought that Smosh may not make a Food Battle 2013 video because usually, around July or August the announcement videos and the polls are added to YouTube and Smosh.com, while the video is usually made around later that time and uploaded September/October. Although, "Food Battle 2013 Announcement" is on their Food Battle Live Stream at the bottom of the corner graphic. Also, at the end of the Live stream Ian and Anthony said that they would make a Food Battle 2013 Announcement with food campaign videos like the previous year. It was uploaded September 3, 2013.
It was released on both Android and iOS on November 19, 2014. The game was retired from app stores on August 4, 2017.
Indiegogo Campaign Description
Food Battle: The Game is a 3D single-player action adventure game. Guide Anthony through multiple unique worlds where you can unlock and equip his favorite foods as weapons to help you battle the Baker's hordes of evil donut minions. And you'll need every weapon in your arsenal if you hope to survive the pink frosted final boss!
- The Pink Frosted Sprinkled Donut Montana
- Donut Minions
- Donut Factory Workers
- Charlie the Drunk Guinea Pig ( after First/Character Poll )
- Stevie ( after Second/Character Poll ): The shop salesman. Used to buy ingredients to craft weapons and clothes.
- Ian's mom (announced on the Livestream): Runs a shop to craft weapons and clothes.
- Banana (after a poll on which losing candidate for Anthony's 2012 food should appear in the game)
- Ian's pet Donut Hole edd (announced on the Livestream)
- Donut Hole minions (announced on the Livestream)
- Ahmed Missouri
- Teleporting Fat Guy: Teleports Anthony to Tickputt at the end of each quest.
- The Neighbor: Runs challenge mode
- The Grasslands
- The Mountains
- The Swamplands
- The Donut Forests
- Donut Village
- The Caves
- The Cemetery
- The Ruins
- Ian's Donut Laboratory (Donut factory)
- Celery Sword
- The starting weapon of the game.
- Burrito Bomb
- Can blow up enemies in a blast radius, also used for blowing up boulders.
- Egg Roll Hammer
- It stuns enemy in a blast radius and can push down posts
- Red Hot Chili Pepper Flamethrower
- Deals damage to enemies over time, also used for activating jump pads.
- Cinnamon-Shooting Churro Blaster
- For ranged combat and pushing blocks
- Taquito gun
- can stop enemies from moving for a short period of time
- Rainbow Lollipop Wand
- Temporarily turns nearby enemies into lawn flamingos
- Giant Gummy Snake Whip
- it is used to pull the sliding blocks and for ranged combat.
On August 4, 2017 the game was retired from all app stores with the only notice being given on the Indiegogo campaign page. There was no clear indication for why it was being retired. Many speculated it was due to Anthony’s departure as he served as the game’s main protagonist. It was retired less than two months after his departure.
Indiegogo Campaign Controversy
Soon after announcing the campaign, many commented that a $250k goal was very high; the website New Media Rockstars criticized the goal, claiming that mobile games at the time could be made with budgets of seven to ten thousand dollars. Comments in disagreement of the amount were quickly deleted, which some claimed was a very defensive stance out of skepticism of the abnormally high goal and the money's true destination.
Five years later, Anthony explained in his own video that he and Ian were instructed by Smosh's then-parent company, Defy Media, to create the campaign despite the game not even being conceived; neither of them made any money from the game's profits.
- The game was free with in-game purchases available.
- Smosh reached their $250k goal before I Have a Secret Son was uploaded.
- Each world has five levels, each fifth level being a boss level. The last few levels are a sort of boss-rush. Level 30 is the final level.