|This article has multiple issues.|
Daniel Anthony Padilla (born September 16, 1987), is an American internet personality, actor, writer, director, producer, and editor who is known for being the co-founder of Smosh. He is Ian Hecox's best friend and the founder of Smosh Productions. On June 14, 2017, Anthony officially announced he left Smosh to become an independent content creator.
- 1 Personality
- 2 Biography
- 3 Anthony Leaves Smosh
- 4 Health Problems
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Family
- 7 Guest Starring
- 8 Movies
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Gallery
- 11 References
Anthony was often shown as smarter, obedient, and more mature than Ian (though their personalities are hardly different) as he often knows much more about the world than Ian does, which is shown throughout Smosh: The Movie. However, he is sometimes childish because he believes that Toy Story is real (which makes Anthony a bit dim-witted and delusional). It is often hard to explain the personality of both Ian and Anthony as they often role-play and vary their attitude.
He is often cheeky as he usually teases Ian around with the Barbershop Pole, picks on or is irritable around Ian for various things such as his weight, and points out small mistakes made by Ian in Lunchtime episodes. For example: In "President Evil," he directly corrects Ian when he mistakes a sunrise for a sunset.
Anthony was born in Sacramento, CA. He has stated that he was unplanned for when he was born. Anthony has two brothers, one being named Mathew, as mentioned in "Anthony's Long Lost Animation." When Anthony was two years old, his parents broke up.
As Anthony stated in his second "Draw My Life" video, his mother has severe agoraphobia and when he was growing up, his mom's agoraphobia meant that he had to support his family. His grandmother initially supported his family but she died when he was 14.
When he was a freshman, Anthony got his driver's license, but he got a car and drove earlier as he used to drop Ian home after school, as mentioned in an episode of Lunchtime with Smosh, as well as in "Draw My Life" video on his YouTube channel.
He has brown-colored eyes, slightly tan skin, and curly dark brown hair that he wears in various short lengths.
From the beginning of Smosh until 2014 he flat-ironed his hair which fans called his "emo hair". Fans were very fond of the hair and often associated Anthony with it. After showing his new hair for the first time in The End of Christmas (Part 1). Fans were devastated by the hair change, and in the BTS for The End of Christmas he read fans' Tweets about their devastation.
Some fans to this day still comment on videos asking for him to grow his emo hair back out. The video EMO HAIR was based around that when three emo teenagers, (Shayne, Courtney and Keith) kidnap Anthony and try to force him to get his emo hair back. He did straighten his emo hair twice in I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY and Emo Anthony Returns.
Anthony is 5'11" tall and weighs 158 lbs, according to a tweet from him on June 23, 2013. In April 2017, he weighed himself clothed on a scale in an Amsterdam hotel and weighed in at 164.9 lbs.
Anthony is a 1/4 Filipino since his paternal grandmother is from the Philippines, as stated in the episodes "SEXIST BURGER!" (Lunchtime w/ Smosh) ,"ADDICTED TO BREAD!" (Lunchtime w/ Smosh) and "Girlfriend Tag!" ('WatchUsLiveAndStuff', the former vlogging channel of Kalel and Anthony).
In an interview with NewMedia Rockstars, Anthony had said that he would obviously choose Squirtle as his starter and then catch a Rattata further to fight the first Gym Leader.
Anthony's favorite guilty pleasure is comic books and graphic novels which was said in the same interview. Anthony mentions that it was extremely embarrassing for him to do the Sexy Anthony photo shoot as he had to dress as a naked cowboy. Right when they got there, there was a large group of kids on bicycles and parents who drove by right when he dropped his pants. He was wearing a flesh-colored speedo.
Anthony said that he had no further educational plans and had no idea on what to do with his life until he started to earn money over YouTube. Before earning money there, Anthony would design websites for his friends and earn enough to pay for gas and car insurance. He even said in *Emo* Anthony Returns where he would work at the local Blockbuster near his home. Since late 2013, Anthony has been eating vegan food products. This originally started just as support for Kalel (who also abstained from animal products), but he switched fully in 2014 for health reasons.
Along with Ian, the two made their official acting debut in Smosh: The Movie.
Around March of 2017, Anthony partnered with Axe. The partnership terminated around December 2017.
How Anthony was characterized in Smosh Videos
Anthony's favorite foods are taquitos, celeries, churros, burritos, red hot chili peppers, rainbow lollipops, egg rolls, giant gummy snakes, rock candies, chocolate-coated bananas, and vegan pink-frosted sprinkled donuts. He likes Disney and the company's films, especially Toy Story.
According to "Food Battle 2009," he knows what Donald Trump's old skin and cement tastes like. Anthony is killed many times in the videos and holds the record for most times died (while playing as himself). Anthony has had many girlfriends in the past, but all of them eventually broke up with him. He is known to practice yoga alongside with this unknown "Hot Girl," mentioned in the episode "My Mom's AMAZING Video!". Anthony literally has a crush on Lou Ferrigno, and even wrote a song for him. In "The Future Sucks!", we learn that Anthony will become homeless due to his Celebrehair business (where he follows celebrities to their hair salons, digs through the trash and sells their hair online) failing because of a trend where everyone in Hollywood had their hair permanently removed.
He loves his hair and he sang an entire song about it when he thought he would never have hair again. Anthony is known to have a rather strange attraction to Ian's mother, as seen in "Paranormal Easy Bake Oven," where he wants to make love with her, "Addicted to Selfies", where he wants to marry her, in a few Food Battles and several Smosh 2nd Channel videos.
Anthony Leaves Smosh
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017, Anthony announced in the video "Anthony is Leaving Smosh" that he had officially left Smosh. In the vlog on his channel called Why I Left Smosh released the same day he goes deeper and explains to fans why he left Smosh with the video even hitting #1 trending video. He feels now that Smosh is a brand owned by a company (Alloy Digital, later Defy Media), it put all his creative decisions "through a filter". Hours after the news of his departure, articles shot up all over the internet, written on websites including Variety and The Hollywood Reporter. The day before his departure he created the channel Anthony Padilla 2, on which the channel banner says he will be uploading videos "Whenever the heck he wants". Later, Anthony uploaded The Real Reason Why I Left Smosh, which was uploaded on April Fools 2018.
Effect on Smosh
After his departure, many fans were unsure of the future of Smosh. Though over nine months after his departure, Smosh has dropped fourteen places from the eighth most subscribed channel. Their views have also dropped dramatically as well. Smosh has recently started to get subscribers and views and views at a consistent rate, faster than Anthony's last year in Smosh but not as fast as Smosh was the most subscribed channel over five years ago, back in 2013. Some claim that his departure has made the channel very unstable and shaky, however. Many fans still want Anthony to return to Smosh, some desperately.
In the immediate aftermath of leaving Smosh, Anthony would at first create a wide variety of videos in an attempt to find his own voice. Several of these were short sketches in the style of Smosh videos.
On February 5, 2018, Anthony uploaded a video called I Spent a Day with Flat Earthers. The video started a series that would at first be infrequent but eventually become the bulk of his content. Anthony explained the evolution of the series in the December 11, 2019 episode of Phillip DeFranco's podcast series "A Conversation With." In it, he says that he tried at first to be somewhat lighthearted without ever making fun of the guests. However, when he shot I Spent a Day with FURRIES, he found that so many of the people he invited and the comments were thankful for Anthony talking to a misunderstood community in a respectful way, genuinely trying to find out more. From then on he decided to take these interviews more seriously to help others see niche groups in a new light and give them the chance to express themselves. He explained to Philip that he now feels less pressure to be funny as a result, leaving his editor to apply the comedic touches to the finished product.
In the summer of 2019, Anthony was hired by Nickelodeon to host the Facebook series Throw Back with Nickelodeon, a series where he interviews stars from old Nickelodeon shows.
Anthony has to wear a mouth guard when he goes to sleep because otherwise, he would grind his teeth together. Ian was the first person to notice it because they went on a trip to Hawaii right after they graduated and they were sharing a room with two beds. Ian kept hearing a creaking sound. Anthony has had other dental issues, as when they were preparing for a Food Battle, Anthony chipped his tooth when he was to perform a type of ground stunt. He also chipped a tooth on a plastic figure of Jesus in an episode of Smosh Is Bored; "What's in My Mouth" challenge.
In high school, Anthony was a tennis player, but he left the sport after his partner slammed the racket with no intention up his chin, which made one of his teeth fall out. (see I'M A PIRATE (True Story 3) for more).
Anthony suffers from panic attacks, stating in his first "Draw My Life" that his mother had them and believes they are something that is passed down through family. Anthony stated in 2014 that they were more-or-less treated when he started eating more healthily.
Henoch-Schonlein Purpura (HSP)
When he was 15, he was diagnosed with HSP and was bedridden at home for four months. This gave him the chance to learn how to code and create a forum to chat with friends, called smosh.com. The HSP has remained dormant ever since.
There is also a mention that he has much worse ADHD than Ian in the fake Lunchtime with Smosh "SMOSH FOUND DEAD" extras.
From October 10, 2010, to November 2014, Anthony was in a relationship with (and engaged to on June 29, 2013) YouTuber Kalel Cullen. They announced their split on Thursday, December 4th, 2014. The decision was mutual and the two remained friends for some time even though none of them appeared in any videos together on either of their channels. As of 2017, it can be safely assumed, after a series of social media reveals and unfollows, that they are no longer friends.
In his second "Draw My Life", he stated that the relationship with Kalel was manipulative and throughout most of it he feels now he was being used. He was walked all over to the point where he asked for her approval in every aspect of his life. His confidence had dropped to rock bottom and he lost who he really was as a person. He did not mention her name in the video but the timeline of mentioned events fit with those of the former relationship.
After the release of the video a large social media argument happened, started by Kalel. Her reaction to the video was very offensive, sending Anthony multiple offensive tweets on Twitter. She also posted an extremely long paragraph about it titled "The Truth". She deleted it soon after she posted it.
He began dating writer and comedian Miel Bredouw in early 2015, confirming the relationship on YouTube on September 22, 2017. He decided to keep his romantic life with Miel more private than with Kalel. They posted some content together online but not to the extent that Kalel and he did.
In September 2019, Miel moved to New York, heavily implying that they broke up. Since then, most of their video collaborations on his channel have been made private.
On December 14, 2019, Anthony revealed that he's been in a relationship with Mykie from YouTube Channel "Glam&Gore" unofficially for five months but officially since September of 2019, later posted as being the ninth of September. It was revealed via his instagram, Mykie's instagram, and a video on Mykie's channel.
- Leezah Padilla (mother)
- Unnamed step-father
- Mathew Worrel (half-brother)
- Brandon Worrel (half-brother)
- Sadie Scott (cousin)
- Dan Padilla (Father)
- Unnamed Step-mother
- Unnamed Step-sister
- Anthony voice-acted as Barry, a police officer from "Killing Spree," but he stopped when Samus, the creator of the series, lost contact with him. Anthony was apparently a fan of the series.
- Anthony, along with Ian, was featured in Julian Smith's video "Brag Call " as himself.
- Ian and Anthony guest-starred in "Annoying Orange: The Exploding Orange" as two bananas.
- Anthony was featured in Ryan Higa's "Agents of Secret Stuff" as a high school wrestler named Bryson.
- He was featured in Dave Days' "I Just Held Hands" as Father Anthony.
- Ian and Anthony guest-starred in Rooster Teeth Production's Red vs. Blue: Season 9 as Insurrection soldiers in episodes 3 and 15. He stars again alongside Ian in Season 10 as Insurrection soldiers in episode 2.
- Along with Ian, he guests stars in the react series created by The Fine Brothers, "YouTubers React".
- He also appears in a "YouTubers React" with Kalel.
- Ian and Anthony have appeared in 3 YouTube Rewinds: 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Anthony (along with Ian) guest starred in the Ray William Johnson video "RWJ vs Smosh."
- Ian and Anthony both appear in PewDiePie's video of them playing Grand Theft Auto IV, called The Animals are Loose!. They both appear again in PewDiePie's video of them playing Draw My Thing, called Smosh Draws My Thing!.
- Ian and Anthony both appeared in the Freddiew video "Huge Guns."
- Anthony, alongside Ian, appeared in Epic Rap Battle of History's "Artists vs TMNT" as the famous Renaissance Artist, Raphael, while Ian portrayed Renaissance artist Michelangelo. YouTubers Rhett and Link also appeared in this video as Donatello and Leonardo Da Vinci.
- Anthony and Ian also featured on Rhett and Link's Mythical Show (a spin-off of Good Mythical Morning) in May 2013.
- Both Ian and Anthony have shot a video for the latest Just Dance feature called "Dance VIP".
- Ian and Anthony both appeared in a "Nerdy Nummies" 2015 episode with Rosanna Pansino.
- Anthony has made guest appearances on Brandon Rogers' YouTube channel.
- He appears in The Angry Birds Movie and its sequel as the voice of Hal the Green Boomerang Bird.
- He also voices Freddy in the direct-to-DVD movie Arctic Adventure: On Frozen Pond.
- In 2013, people thought that Anthony died in a car accident, but it ended up being just a rumor. The same episode occurred in 2015.
- Ian and Anthony first met in 6th grade science class when they made a project about landfills, and they supposedly drew a lot of feces and flies. He was once suspended in the same grade.
- Anthony despises tomatoes and sour cream for whatever reason. He also hates horseradish dressing, claiming that it is 'worse than sour cream'.
- Anthony is also well known for his animations that he made on Newgrounds in early 2003.
- Sometimes, his name is intentionally spelled as "Anthony Padildo."
- On Facebook, he says that he's a lawyer.
- Anthony's first car was a 1989 Ford Probe. Later on, he has owned a Scion tC. He now drives a Chevrolet Volt.
- Anthony had afro hairstyle when he was at high school. He appeared with afro hair in "THAT'S HOT! "
- When Anthony received his first computer as a child, he says that he watched pornography a lot.
- Some people easily mispronounce Anthony's last name "Padillia."
- Along with Ian, Anthony pretends to die in a lot of Mailtime with Smosh episodes.
- In the umpteen dancing Game Bangs uploaded to Smosh Games, Anthony is shown to vary between being a good dancer and not being a good dancer, he ended up doing the punishment for Just Dance Rematch, Breaking It Down In 2014 and Grease Bang alongside Ian and Dancing with the Star Wars alongside Jovenshire, as well as coming 4th in Just Dance 4 Hilarity! and Don't Stop the Hip Hop. However he came 3rd in The King Of Pop Would Be Proud, You Can't Stop the Motion and Making Music With Our Bodies, and 1st in It's a Game Bang Ho-Down!
- Despite Anthony's claim that he can't sing, he proves in Cover Your Ears, We're Singing that he actually has a somewhat respectable voice.
- Anthony used to have a deviated septum (which was caused by Ian many years ago due to hitting Anthony with a tennis racket) which meant his nostrils were two different sizes. He had surgery to fix this on December 20, 2013. However in Celebrity hair-stylist fixes my "horrible" hair he says that he still has a slightly deviated septum.
- In March 2013, Anthony was interviewed by British radio station BBC Radio 1.
- After over two years of not doing it, Anthony flat-ironed his hair one more time for fans in the vlog "I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY". Fans commented that the hair did not even look the same. He did it again in Emo Anthony Returns where he would say that he might bring it back on special occasions.
- When he was a teenager he was a fan of the emo band Underoath. He says in the vlog mentioned above that hearing the sound of the flat-iron being pressed together made him feel like her was going to sit down and turn on Underoath.
- Anthony's father and Ian's father both appeared in an edition of Lunchtime with Smosh on June 9, 2014, their appearance was revealed in a WatchUsLiveAndStuff video uploaded on May 21, 2014.
- As seen in some Mail Time episodes of Ian is Bored (Now named Smosh is Bored) on Smosh 2nd Channel, Anthony likes the old Nickelodeon show "Invader Zim".
- Anthony and Ian once were invited to host Nickelodeon's AwesomenessTV.
- In Smosh: The Movie, Anthony is seen with a different hairstyle. The hairstyle is never seen in any Smosh videos except the trailers of the movie.
- Anthony grew his first beard to fit his role as Charlie Ross in the second Smosh film, Ghostmates.
- Anthony voiced a character in their Newgrounds series called Killing Spree but was replaced in Killing Spree VI.
- In Shocking Liar Challenge, Anthony approved that he urinates in the shower.
- Anthony is right-handed, as revealed in "Left Handed".
- Sometimes in Smosh videos, his last name is pronounced "Padildo".
- Anthony leaving Smosh acts as a coincidental parallel to Jon Jafari leaving Game Grumps (a show of which the two hosts were featured in an episode of Smosh Games), to be replaced by Dan Avidan. Both started with a fairly low budget and were hosted by two friends meeting in a localized environment. It should be noted that the two situations differ slightly in motivation and that Anthony (unlike Jon) was never fully replaced.