In 2016 so much has changed, but there are also some lessons, we just haven't learned.
Many comments criticized Smosh for using the thumbnail solely for clickbait in an attempt to gain more views as it led a lot into thinking Anthony would be present in the video.
The video also garnered many comments on Smosh being worse without Anthony's presence, due to the thumbnail of 2016 representing Ian and Anthony and 2017 representing only Ian due to Anthony leaving Smosh half a year prior.
The video peaked as the #6 most trending on YouTube on December 21, 2017.
- Directed by Ryan Todd
- Written by Ian Hecox, Monica Vasandani, Cole Hersch, and Ryan Finnerty
- Produced by Ryan Todd
- Smosh Co-Founded by Ian Hecox & Anthony Padilla
- Smosh Creative Director: Joe Bereta
- Director of Photography: Billy Yates
- Editor: Leonard Wilkes
- Senior Producer: Alex Hluch
- Co-Producer: Rebecca Doyle
- Producer: Garrett Palm
- Associate Producer: Kristina Nikolic
- First Assistant Director: Tanner Risner
- Production Manager: Andy Garwig
- Production Manager: Daniel Kesner
- Production Designer: Jade Spiers
- Art Director: Nick Delgado
- Art Assist: Kianna Bliven
- Camera: Brennan Iketani
- Assistant Camera: Nick Goto
- Gaffer: Mitch Anderson
- Key Grip: Katie Eleneke
- Sound: Ivan Harder
- Makeup: Rachel Jenkins
- Costume Designer: Lindsay Hamilton
- Key Production Assistant: Jake Sperling
- DIT/Media Management: Connor Hall
- Script Supervisor: Talia Brahms
- Assistant Editor: Matthew Duran
- Post-Production Supervisor: Reed Brice
- Sound Mixer: Peter de Leon
- This is the first Smosh main channel video to feature Anthony since What's going on with Smosh?! (a picture of him and Ian in the background while Ian is talking).
- This is the first Smosh main channel video to mention Anthony since The TRUTH about Smosh.
- This is the first Smosh main channel video to have Anthony in the thumbnail since CELEBRITIES ARE INSANE (Music Video).
- This is Smosh's third Year vs Year video to have 2017 as one of the years being portrayed and the first to compare two years in the same decade.
- This is one of the few Smosh videos where no cursing takes place.
- The video's first 2016 vs 2017 comparison scene, the protesters comparison scene, was filmed the same time the protest scenes from the two Smosh main channel videos prior, ANTI SANTA PROTEST GOES BAD, were.
- The 2016 version of YouTube during the 2016 and 2017 YouTube comparison in this video featured YouTube's old logo, which departed four months before the release of this video.
- Famous YouTuber, AskAGangsta commented "happy holidays everyone :)" in the video's comments.
- It's the first video in Year VS Year series not to feature iconic Shut Up! intro.